Joseph Cohen is without a doubt one of British Columbia’s most outstanding citizens. He is a successful businessman who has become an outstanding philanthropist locally, nationally and internationally.
A highly respected leader, he has supported and raised millions of dollars for a variety of worthy causes.
Mr. Cohen’s community involvement has been unparalleled and includes:
* former Director of the YMCA participating extensively in all their fundraising activities over 40 years,
* a member of the Royal Commonwealth Society;
* a member and Life Patron of the Variety Club of Vancouver;
* one of the first Directors, and now a member for eleven years, of the Justice Institute of British Columbia;
* a Director of St. Vincent’s Hospital and Chairman for 13 years of the Special Gifts division;
* a former Western Canadian Director of Teleglobe Canada for six years.
Mr. Cohen has been honoured with many awards for his community work and his support for so many citizenship and humanitarian causes. Some of these include:
* 1971 Vancouver “Man of the Year”;
* 1978 appointed “Member, Order of Canada”
* 1979 Honorary Member, Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police;
* 1980 “Freeman” City of Vancouver;
* 1982 awarded Boy Scouts of Canada “Medal of Merit”;
* 1982 chosen “B.C. Catholic Man of the Year”;
* 1986 awarded Honorary Doctor of Laws degree by U.B.C.;
* 1986 recognized as “Businessman of the Year” by Better Business Bureau of Vancouver;
* 1989 appointed Member, Board of Governors, Victoria Commonwealth Games Society.
While his achievements are legendary and awards numerous, he remains modest, tireless and energetic, always willing to go that extra mile in support of worthy causes. By his exemplary life and work, Joseph Cohen is a living example for his community, a first class ambassador at large for B.C.